Living with an on grid solar electric system is the same as living with grid power; expect that some or all electricity you use comes from sun.
Let’s see, the circulation of solar electricity within your house.
Solar PV systems on grid require
1. Solar Panels
3. Breaker Box
4. Home Power and Appliances
6. Utility power grid.
On-grid system is composed of solar panels and utility grid, but also…
- A DC connect switch, to interrupt the flow of DC electricity from the solar panels when needed.
- A DC/AC inverter to convert DC electricity from solar panels to AC electricity used for home appliances,
- An AC breaker panels, usually installed in your basement, to route and control electricity in your rooms,
- The electricity meter, to keep track of electricity you use in two directions : your solar electricity and from the grid And finally the household loads, such as lights, TV or washer use AC electricity.
There are 4 different cases
CASE – 1 ONLY SUN ENERGY
- The DC solar electricity goes through the DC disconnect switch to the DC/AC inverter where it will be converted to AC.
- The AC electricity will then supply your household loads through the ac panel breaker.
- The AC panel breaker also allows you to disconnect the loads or inverter by switching off the breakers and fuse.
- The sun can provide enough energy to supply your household loads in this case, without need of the utility grid.
CASE – 2 SUN + GRID ENERGY
- In some situation, the sun energy might not be enough for your house. Therefore, electricity comes from the Grid to compensate.
- For example cloudy or rainy days.
CASE - 3 SUN AND EXCESS ENERGY
- In case you have an excess of solar electricity from your house, it will even turn the electric meter backward,to the utility grid.
- Government is planning to provide financial grants and rebates. The utility credits the homeowner’s account for excess solar electricity produced. This arrangement is called net metering or net billing.
CASE – 4 GRID ENERGY AT NIGHT
- And in the last case, we don’t have energy coming from sun at night. All the provided by the utility grid.
THANK YOU. COME AND JOIN ELLUME SOLAR CUSTOMER COMMUNITY TO BUILD GREEN LIVES.